- Public Works
- Recycling Center
Township of Roxbury Recycling Center
96 N. Dell Avenue, Kenvil, NJ
Hours: Saturday and Sunday 8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
There is no commercial or household trash accepted at our recycling center.
Trash can be be taken to: Morris County Municipal Utilities Authority
168 Gold Mine Rd., Flanders, NJ - 973-347-8106
Holiday hours for the center are as follows:
Closed-Easter, Sunday, April 9, 2023
Open Christmas Eve, December 24, 2023 from 8:00 am - noon only
Open New Year's Eve from 8:00 am - noon only
Contractors and/or Professional Landscapers may not use the center.
Please note that our center is open for residents only. If you do not have a township permit displayed on your vehicle you will be asked for proof of residency. Once a permit is obtained, please be sure the permit is visible on your vehicle.
Please be aware that even though an item may have the recycling symbol imprinted on it, the item may not be able to be recycled. Please refer to our Sanitation & Recycling page for more detailed information on acceptable commingle items.
- Batteries-Automotive & button, NiCad, etc. Household batteries can be placed in regular trash
- Brush - 6" in diameter max. only
- Clothing: Bins are available for clothing or you can call the Social Services Office at (973) 448-2026 to make a donation.
- Cooking oil-please place oil in a plastic bottle with no other material.
- Comingle: aluminum cans, glass bottles & jars, plastic food & beverage containers #1,2,5 milk, juice, soda, broth, etc. detergent and some cleaning supplies containers, steel/tin cans.
- Corrugated cardboard - FLATTENED *Styrofoam must be removed from all boxes. Styrofoam can be placed in regular trash.
- Cell phones -for more information and drop off locations, please visit www.mcmua.com
- E-Waste-Televisions, Computers, Tablets, Laptops, Monitors, Desktop Printers, and Desktop Faxes are accepted.
- Fire Extinguishers -only if discharged
- Fluorescent light bulbs: Please transport carefully. Broken bulbs will not be accepted.*Review details below on acceptable bulbs.
- Junk mail
- Metal items -example toasters, microwaves, filing cabinets, refrigerators, washing machines, dryers, etc.
- Motor oil: Please place waste oil in a plastic bottle. Do not utilize bleach containers for this purpose.
- Tires: A tag must be purchased at the Municipal Building before tires are brought to the recycling center. Tires up to 19" - $5.00, tires up to 19" with rim will be $10.00. Any tire over 19" will not be accepted at the center.
- Vegetative waste-consisting of grass & leaves only. @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>
- Air conditioners
- Books -paperbacks can go in with mixed paper. Hardcovers are trash.
- Construction Debris
- Cooking oil
- Flower pots and trays
- Household chemicals (solvents, aerosols)
- Logs (over 6" in diameter)
- Ornamental grass
- Paint cans (use paint chips or kitty litter to pour into the paint so the paint is dry, place the can in regular trash without the lid)
- Pizza boxes (only parts of the box with NO grease or food stuck to them. If the lid is grease free, tear it off & recycle, while trashing the greasy bottom)
- Plastic shopping bags. You may recycle the bags at Home Depot, Lowes, Target & Walmart
- Pool chemicals
- Propane tanks
- Large rigid plastics such as plastic chairs, plastic furniture, plastic containers
- Shredded paper-please keep shredded paper to a minimum, shred what is needed (i.e, shred only confidential paper & leave the rest unshredded). Shredded paper must be in a tied in a bag so the material is contained and placed into the trash.
- Styrofoam @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>
MUA (Morris County Municipal Utilities Authority)
The Morris County Household Hazardous Water Disposal Program provides Morris County residents with an environmentally safe way of recycling or disposing of hazardous materials found in and around the home. The Morris County Municipal Utilities Authority offers a facility in Mt. Olive (168 Gold Mine Rd., Mt. Olive 07876) for disposal of your household hazardous waste.The facility is open on selected Friday & Saturday mornings. Proof or residency is required & an appointment is necessary to drop off waste. There is no charge for Morris County residents.
For additional information or to set-up an appointment, please call (973) 829-8006
MUA WILL accept- Pesticides & herbicides, oil based paints and stains, paint thinners and solvents, transmission, steering and brake fluids, gasoline, pool and darkroom chemicals, small quantities of asbestos, driveway sealant, roofing tar, and mercury containing devices, light bulbs
MUA will NOT accept- Latex paint, empty hazardous waste containers, unknown materials and business waste. Unknown material, explosives or highly reactive materials may be dangerous to transport. if you have these types of materials call first before transporting these materials.
You can drop off bread bags, bubble wrap, dry cleaning bags, newspaper sleeves, ice bags, plastic shipping envelopes, Ziploc & other re-closable food storage bags, cereal bags, case overwrap, salt bags, pallet wrap & stretch film, wood pellet bags and produce bags with your plastic grocery bags at most retailers (Walmart, Home Depot, Target, etc.). Go to Trex recycling for more information.
Remember-just because something isn’t accepted curbside or at the recycling center (i.e.stereos, VCR’s), it doesn’t mean there aren’t other places to recycle it. Please go to www.roxburynj.us/sanitation-recycling for suggestions on how to keep the material out of the landfill.
Keep plastic shopping bags out of the waste stream (bread bags, cleaning bags, dry cleaning bags, etc) are collected at Kohls (by the customer service counter, Walmart (inside front of store), Target and Lowe’s and recycled.
Tomco Products (973) 361-1589 will accept clean wood, concrete, brick, block, stone, rocks, and clean pallets.
Green Vision, Randolph (973) 998-7955 will take many unusual items such as DVD’s, VCR tapes, (non-acceptable E-Waste).
North East Products (973-584-5595 will take brush/tree parts, leaves, stumps, wood scraps (clean non-treated wood).
Please retire old/torn American Flags, do not throw them away. Drop boxes are available at our Recycling Center, Town Hall, Senior Center, and our Library.