Septic System Management Tips
All septic tanks should be pumped at least every three years; failure to pump tanks out is the number one reason for system failure.
- Do not flush or pour any items not intended for septic disposal in the drain including:
- Cat litter
- Cigarette butts
- Cooking oil / grease
- Feminine products
- Motor oil / chemicals
- Do not use excessive amounts of water at one time
- Fix all leaky fixtures
- Keep showers short
- Make sure that toilets do not run
- Spread heavy use water activities throughout the day
- Spread out loads of laundry over the entire week
For more information, a Homeowner's Manual for Septic Systems is a available at the Health Department.
A permit is required for any repairs/alterations to an existing septic system.