Lyme Disease
You can help prevent this debilitating disease by following a few simple rules.
· Keep your lawn cut short, ticks like long vegetation.
  • Wear long pants and long sleeves and light colored clothes if you are out in a wooded area. Ticks are easier to see on light colors.
  • Most importantly check yourself and your children after being outside, be thorough, ticks are often found in areas where clothes come in close contact with the skin, such as waistbands. Make sure to check your scalp! Make sure to check pets thoroughly when they return inside and consider applying a tick repellent to product your dog or cat.

Food Safety Begins at Home
  • All kitchens should have a stem type thermometer (not a meat thermometer)
  • All foods should be cooked to the proper (internal) temperature
    1. Poultry, anything stuffed or anything containing eggs - 165oF
    2. Any ground meat - 155oF
    3. Fish & pork - 145oF
For more information on the use of thermometers please click the below link.
Refrigeration · All perishable foods should be refrigerated promptly after purchasing or preparing, leftovers should be refrigerated immediately.
· Your refrigerator should be set at a temperature of 41oF or below
· When transporting perishable foods in warm weather, items should be stored in a cooler with an ice pack.

Cross Contamination
· Any utensils/cutting boards that are used for cutting raw meats should be sanitized after use.
1. Bleach is good inexpensive sanitizer. It takes about a cap full of bleach per gallon of water to reach the required 50 ppm of available bleach to sanitize.
2. Hot water is another way to sanitize however home dishwashers do not reach the required 160oF to sanitize.
· Do not store raw meats/eggs above ready to eat foods, such as salads/vegetables. Also meats with higher cooking temperatures (see “Thermometers” section above) should be stored below ones with lower cooking temps, eggs should also be on the bottom.
· Wash hands often & thoroughly, especially between handling raw and cooked foods or after visiting the restroom.

Upcoming Roxbury Clinics
The Child Health Conference
(well baby clinic) is no longer being offered by the township. Anyone that is in need of this service should contact Zufall Health Center.
Zufall Health Center
17 South Warren Street
Dover, NJ 07801
973 328-3344

Blood Pressure Clinic
1st Wednesday & Friday of each month

For information on Flu shots or other clinics please contact Jim Craig at 973 448-2030.

For Rabies Clinic information see the Animal Control Website

Please click here for more information on what the above clinics offer or call the Health Department at 973 448-2030 and speak to the nurse for more information and eligibility requirements.

Rabies Information Rabies is a fatal disease of the central nervous system that can affect all warm-blooded animals and is enzootic in New Jersey. Infection occurs when saliva from an infected animal is introduced to a host via a bite or a scratch. The infection may take up to six (6) months to become symptomatic, once symptomatic it is untreatable. Infection may be prevented after an exposure by undergoing Post-Exposure Rabies shots.
If your pet is bitten/wounded by an unknown animal please contact your veterinarian and the health department as soon as possible. To limit your possible exposure to this disease please make sure that all your pets have a current vaccination and are licensed. Free vaccinations can be obtained at clinics throughout the state, please see the "Upcoming Clinics" section for a current list.
All bites to humans by any animal must be reported to the Health Department, for additional information on rabies please click the link below
Bat Exposure Any human exposure with a bat requires that the bat be tested by the New Jersey Department of Health for rabies.
Human Exposure is defined as;
· A bite
· A scratch
· A bat in the house with direct access to
o a sleeping person
o a small child
The New Jersey Department of Health recommends that all bats that enter the living area of a home regardless of human exposure should be tested for rabies. If you find a bat in your home please follow the procedure below.
1. close the bat in the room
2. exit the room
3. seal the bottom of doors with a towel
4. during business hours call the Roxbury Health Department (973 448-2028)
5. after business hours or on weekends call the Roxbury Police Department
at 973 448-2100

Cold & Flu Season The Common Cold
More than 200 different viruses are known to cause the symptoms of the common cold. Most do not result in serious illness, sometimes however there can be more serious effects. Unfortunately for us these viruses grow best at temperatures of about 91 degrees Fahrenheit, the temperature inside the human nose. There is no evidence that you can get a cold from exposure to cold weather or from getting chilled. There is also no evidence that your chance of getting a cold is related to your general overall health. Some scientists do believe that stress and allergies may make you more susceptible to cold viruses.
The most important thing you can do to keep yourself healthy is wash you hands often. You are potentially exposed to cold causing viruses from other people every time a sick person sneezes or coughs because they expel these viruses into atmosphere.
Learning how to sneeze and cough correctly can help prevent the spread of colds. You should always cover your mouth when sneezing or coughing. Sneezing into your hands prevents the expulsion of the viruses into the atmosphere, however your hands have now been contaminated and therefore must be washed immediately afterward, otherwise you will spread the viruses to everything you touch. A better idea may be to sneeze into your sleeve, please click on the link below to watch a video about this subject.
Flu Prevention Tips
For those of you not receiving the flu vaccine this year please follow the below suggestions to minimize your risk of getting influenza:
  • Frequent hand washing with warm water and soap
  • Use tissues for coughs and sneezes and dispose appropriately and immediately
  • If you think you have the flu, stay home from work or school
  • Talk with your physician about weather or not antiviral medicines could be right for you
  • If you think you have the flu, avoid the elderly or frail relatives and friends
  • Stay Healthy! Eat well and get enough rest. Avoid getting run down which can lower your resistance
  • See the CDC website for more information on influenza prevention.
Recreational Bathing Facilities All public bathing beaches, pools and spas are inspected by this department twice a year. This includes the following:
  • Condominium/ Townhouse
  • Hotels/Motels
  • Township Properties
Clink the link below to view the Regulation the governs Public Recreational Bathing
Lake Hopatcong State Park is under the jurisdiction of the New Jersey Department of Health & Senior Services.
Body Art Inspections

Body Art Establishments must comply with state regulations. These regulations govern procedure and sanitary requirements for all establishments that tattoo & pierce. All establishments are inspected yearly.

Tanning Establishment Inspections
Tanning Establishments must comply with state regulations. These regulations govern procedure and sanitary requirements. All establishments are inspected yearly.

Childhood Lead Program The health department investigates cases of childhood lead poisoning when a child’s venous blood lead level is in excess of 20 ug/dl. All children under the age of six (6) should be tested for lead.

Regulated Medical Waste All regulated medical waste generators: doctor’s offices, hospitals, etc. must comply with state regulations. Home use of syringes does not fall under these regulations, safe disposal is the responsibility of the user, please click link below. Syringe Disposal
Noise Regulations The township has adopted into law the “Model Noise Ordinance” which allows the Health Department to protect the community from excessively loud noise. For questions regarding noise you should contact the Health Department.

Landowner Goose Egg Addling Program The US Fish & Wildlife Service has published a new regulation allowing private landowners and managers of public lands to destroy Canada Goose nests and addle eggs under their jurisdiction. This will aid in the statewide effort to reduce the population. The registration website is or just click on the following link for Resident Canada Goose Nest Egg Registration

Morris County Mosquito Extermination Commission Spraying Information - The Health Department is not aware of any spraying planned at this time.
The Morris County Mosquito Extermination Commission, founded in 1928, has the goal of reducing the number of nuisance and disease transmitting mosquitoes within the county. The Commission employs a number of techniques to provide this service to residents with minimal impact on the environment. The program can be summarized as follows:

1) Water Management - The Commission carries out extensive efforts to remove blockages from Morris County waterways, and to maintain drainage systems as needed. Such work is done carefully, with environmental impacts kept clearly in mind. This program helps reduce the use of insecticides needed to control mosquitoes.
2) Larval Control - Mosquitoes all start out in the water as larvae, or wrigglers. In areas where water management is not feasible, larval control is necessary. Some locations are suitable for stocking with mosquitofish, which provide continuous, biological control of mosquitoes. In other areas, larvicides may be used to eliminate mosquitoes. They choose products that are specific for mosquitoes and have minimal or no effect on other organisms in the aquatic environment.
3) Adult Control - While the most visible aspect of mosquito control it is considered a last resort. When this method is employed, truck mounted sprayers dispense ½ - 1 ounce of insecticide per acre. The areas being sprayed are announced in both the Daily Record and The Star Ledger prior to spraying.

For more information on the Morris County Mosquito Extermination Commission, their activities or the products they use please call them or visit their website.
973 285-6450
For more information about pesticide use go to

Black Bear Information In the past few years there have been numerous black bear sightings in the Landing section of Roxbury. The New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection has issued a warning to the residents of northern New Jersey about bear proofing their premises. Please click on the link below to view the press release.

For additional information on black bears, how to co-exist with them and how to reduce human-bear interaction please click on the link below.

Mercury Thermometer Disposal The Township will take mercury thermometers as recyclables, please contact the Recycling Coordinator, Debbie Maines at 973 448-2053. You can also contact the Household Hazardous Waste program at the MUA in Mount Olive at 973 829-8006.
Rodent Control The health department investigates complaints of rodent infestation and harborage. You can help to control the rodent population by following the following suggestions:
1) Keep all wood piles elevated at least 12 inches off the ground.
2) Maintain lawn in such a manner as to prevent an overgrowth of weeds or other vegetation, and remove all accumulated shrubbery/branches from the property and dispose of it properly.
3) Pour a concrete slab under sheds so rodents cannot burrow under.
4) Remove any possible food and water source such as bird feeders and birdbaths, pet food, dog feces, etc.
5) Be aware for any borrows on your property. Rat borrows are generally about a 2 inch diameter, but can be larger, they are usually in an out of the way place or along the edge of something. They are dirty looking, are worn off on one side and generally occur in groups.
6) If you feel that you may have an infestation obtain a professional exterminator to inspect the property or call the health department.

Beauty Salon Regulation Establishments that engage in activities that pertain to hair, nails or skin are regulated by the State Board of Cosmetology and Hairstyling. All complaints must be directed to this agency in writing at the address below, for the complaint form please click the link immediately below.
Complaint form -
NJ Board of Cosmetology
P.O. Box 54003
Newark, NJ 07101

For information regarding this board please click on the link or call the phone number below.
973 504-6400

Disaster Preparedness
Disaster preparedness is everyone's responsibility. And, this is especially important at the family level. The Roxbury Township Health Department can help you be better prepared by supplying you with handouts that can help keep you safe during an emergency. If you would like a free copy of one of these handouts please visit us at the Health Department located at 72 Eyland Avenue, Succasunna, or call 973 448-2028.

One of the most important things that you will need in a disaster is water. Below are some tips on storing water for an emergency.

FEMA recommends that all households store an emergency supply of potable water of at least 1 gallon of water per person per day for 3 days.
  • Don’t forget about pets. The amount will vary by type of pet.
  • A good way to accomplish emergency water storage is purchasing bottled water. Bottled water stock should be rotated in accordance with the bottler’s recommendations.
  • Home bottled water should be stored in a clean sealed container and discarded every 6 months
  • All bottled water should be stored in a cool, dark & dry place away from chemicals
  • In the event of an extended emergency that you have received prior waning of another option is bath tub liner. These liners can store up to 100 gallons of potable water in your tub in a clean liner equipped with a manual pump for distribution. Some company’s that produce liners are Waterbob & Aquapod.
  • There are also chemical sanitization methods such as Cl bleach & iodine, although proper amount of sanitizer must be used to assure safe consumption and they should be used as a last resort.
Non-potable water storage can come in handy also. In the event of water system failure you may not be able to flush your toilet (1.6 gallons per flush) and it may not be a good idea to use precious potable water that you need for drinking. Storage of some non-potable water for this purpose is also a good idea. (3 gallons per person per day) The storage life is indefinite since it will not be used for potable uses. Just make sure to clearly mark these containers as NON-POTABLE so they are not mistakenly used for consumption.
Another item to consider is an Emergency Go Kit , these kits are useful for both in house sheltering or in an evacuation situation. Kits should include;

Food & Water
  • Purified Boxed Water
  • High Calorie Meal Bars
  • Water Purification tablets
  • Am/Fm Radio with Headphones and Batteries
  • Whistle
  • Signal Mirror (a CD works also)
Light Sources
  • Squeeze Flashlight or LED flashlight
  • Candle
  • Emergency Glow Sticks
  • Waterproof Matches
  • Lighter
Shelter and Warmth
  • Tent (big enough for # of people)
  • Emergency Blanket (per person)
  • Poncho with hood (per person)
  • Multi-Tool (Leatherman / Gerber)
  • Leather Work Gloves
  • Nylon Rope (50 feet)
  • Small ax
  • Bungy Cords
  • Bio-degradable Toilet Paper
  • Tissues
  • Isopropyl Alcohol
  • Hand Towel
First Aid
  • First Aid Kit
  • Necessary over the counter medication (aspirin, anti-diarrhea)
  • Feminine pads
  • Notepad
  • Pencil
  • Plastic sealing bags
Below find some ideas about protecting your food supply during a disaster or power outage.
Keeping Food Safe after a Natural Disaster or Power Outage

Identify and throw away food that may not be safe to eat.
· Throw away food that may have come in contact with flood or storm water.
· Throw away food that has an unusual odor, color, or texture.
· Throw away perishable foods (including meat, poultry, fish, eggs and leftovers) that have been above 40 degrees Fahrenheit (F) for 2 hours or more.
· Thawed food that contains ice crystals or is 40 degree F or below can be refrozen or cooked.
· Throw away canned foods that are bulging, opened, or damaged.
· Food containers with screw-caps, snap-lids, crimped caps (soda bottles), twist caps, flip tops, snap-open, and home canned foods should be discarded if they have come into contact with floodwater because they cannot be disinfected.
· If cans have come in contact with floodwater or storm water, remove the labels, wash the cans, and dip them in a solution of 1 cup of bleach in 5 gallons of water. Re label the cans with a marker.
· Do not use contaminated water to wash dishes, brush your teeth, wash and prepare food, wash your hands, make ice, or make baby formula.

Store food safely.
· While the power is out, keep the refrigerator and freezer doors closed as much as possible.
· Add block ice or dry ice to your refrigerator if the electricity is expected to be off longer than 4 hours. Wear heavy gloves when handling dry ice.

Handle food safely.
· If there is no water available for hand washing, use alcohol based hand sanitizers.

Related Resources:
USDA Meat and Poultry Hotline: 1-888-MPHotline.
Available for consumers questions and concerns about food safety.

USDA Alert: Keeping Food Safe During Flooding and Power Outages

Hand Hygiene in Emergency Situations

Keeping Food Safe in an Emergency, U.S. Department of Agriculture

Septic System Plan Review Plans for both new construction and alterations of existing systems must be reviewed by the Health Department before they are installed.

Septic System Installation The Health Department conducts periodic inspections of septic systems during the installation process.
New Jersey Smoke-Free Air Act This act prohibits smoking in all enclosed indoor places of public access and workplaces. General information regarding this issue can be found at or There are no establishments in Roxbury that are exempt from the Smoke Free Air Act. Specific questions regarding Roxbury can be directed to the Health Department at 973 448-2028.

Frequently Asked Questions
How do I get a marriage license?
How do I get a copy of my marriage license?

How do I get a copy of a death certificate?\

How do I get rid of a dead deer?
Call the Health Department at 973 448-2028 from 8 am to 4:30 pm.
The deer must be near the road.

How often should my septic be pumped out?
Systems should be pumped out every three (3) years on average. Systems that are under an above average load should be pumped out more often. A good rule of thumb is that the system is designed for 2 people per bedroom.

If I have a spilt system do I have to pump out both tanks?
Yes, both tanks must be pumped out regularly. We often see gray water (laundry) systems failing because they are not pumped out.

What time can the garbage men start picking up the trash?
6 a.m.

If I’m putting on an addition do I have to upgrade my septic?
If you are adding anything that the regulations consider a bedroom to your home the septic must be upgraded.

What can I do if I have a problem with my landlord regarding a housing complaint?
First you should try to work out the disagreement yourselves. If you fail to come to an understanding you should contact the Health Department at 973 448-2028

What time is my neighbor supposed to stop making noise?
Roxbury’s Noise ordinance requires that after 10 p.m. noise at any property line not exceed 50 dB, this is equivalent to an average conversational tone. The unamplified human voice is exempt form these regulations.

Who do I report dead birds to in regard to West Nile Virus?
Dead crows should be reported to the Health Department. Stagnant pools of water that may be breeding mosquitoes may be reported to the Morris County Mosquito Commission at 973 538-3200.

Do food handlers need to wear gloves?
Chapter 24 of the State Sanitary Code requires food handlers to eliminate direct bare hand contact with ready to serve foods

Does my well need to be tested?
The Health Department recommends that all homeowners test their well for coliform bacteria quarterly, nitrates and volatile organics yearly.

Why can’t I license my dog or cat if their rabies shot is not expired?
The NJDHSS requires that a rabies shot not expire prior to November 1 of the licensing year. This is to ensure that your animal has no more than a 3 month lapse in protection

What do I do with unused medications?
To view the NJDEP guidelines on how to dispose of unused medications please click on this link.
Fertilizer Ordinance Any fertilizer applied in the township cannot contain more than 0.5% phosphorus.
A bag of fertilizer rated 24 - 2 - 8 has: 24 % Nitrogen
2% Phosphorous
8% Potassium
So when purchasing fertilizer make sure that the middle number on the bag is not higher than 0.5%

Directions to the Health Department From South Jersey
  • Take NJT or GSP North to the exit for I-287 North
  • Take I-287 North to exit 39 (Route 10 West)
  • Follow Route 10 West for approximately 10 Miles into Roxbury
  • At the first light in Roxbury (Eyland Avenue) take jug handle and cross back over Route 10
  • Health Department is the first building after the lake on the left-hand side
From East Jersey
  • Take I-80 West to exit 30 (Howard Boulevard)
  • At the end of the exit make a left onto Howard Boulevard
  • Follow to the first light and make a right onto Route 46
  • Go to first light and make a left onto Route 10
  • Follow Route 10 to 3rd light and make a right onto Eyland Avenue
  • Health Department is the first building after the lake on the left-hand side
From West Jersey
  • Take I-80 East
  • Take exit 28 (Route 46 East)
  • Follow Route 46 to Route 10 East
  • Follow Route 10 to 3rd light and make a right onto Eyland Avenue
  • Health Department is the first building after the lake on the left-hand side
From North Jersey
  • Take Route 15 South to I-80 West
  • Take I-80 West to exit 30 (Howard Boulevard)
  • At the end of the exit make left onto Howard Boulevard
  • Follow to first light and make a right onto Route 46
  • Go to first light and make left onto Route 10
  • Follow Route 10 to 3rd light and make a right onto Eyland Avenue
  • Health Department is the first building after the lake on the left-hand side

Volunteers Needed Meals on Wheels
Roxbury Township Meals on Wheels Program is looking for volunteers to deliver meals to homebound residents. It only requires about one or two hours one Wednesday a month in the morning. Many people in our community are so grateful for a smile and a food package. Reach out to your neighbors and show them that they are not alone. Please contact Cindy Van Sickles @ 973 448-2029 for the opportunity to male a difference.
Medical Reserve Corps (MRC)
Here's the opportunity you've been waiting for to make a difference in your community! Join your local Medical Reserve Corps, non-medical positions also available.

The September 11, 2001, attacks had immediate and overwhelming effects on the United States. Many medical and health volunteers offered their skills during the attacks. However, these attacks underscored the need for a more organized approach to using medical and non-medical volunteers during an emergency. In January 2002, President Bush in his State of the Union address, asked Americans to offer meaningful volunteer services in their communities, in whatever ways they could. To support this effort, Secretary of the Heath and Human Services, Tommy G. Thompson, officially launched the Medical Reserve Corps (MRC) in July 2002.

The MRC is a national program with a local, community-based emphasis, in which its mission is to support community efforts to utilize local MEDICAL AND NON-MEDICAL (i.e. language translators, business people, ITC, event planners, etc.) professional volunteers during emergencies, such as pandemic influenza, smallpox or plague outbreak, and at other times of community need that require the opening of Point-of-Distribution (POD) clinics for antibiotic distribution, or vaccination of the population.
Currently the Morris County Office of Health Management is assembling the MRC. In the event of an emergency, volunteers would be mobilized. Any medical or non-medical professional can join the MRC. You would be an essential component to this critical emergency preparedness and response program by adding your own unique capabilities and strengths.

If you are interested in joining the Roxbury MRC or need more information you may contact Cindee Bella at the Morris County Office of Health Management.

Your dedication, altruism, and professionalism will help us save lives and protect the health of our citizens. We hope that you will consider making your own contribution.

Seasonal Influenza Information The Health Department has Seasonal Flu vaccine. You may also contact the providers below to check on availability of Seasonal Flu vaccine.
  • Medical Care Associates - 973 252-1522
  • Zufall Clinic - 973 328-9100

Information for those 65 or over Regarding Flu Season What You Should Know and Do this Flu Season If You Are 65 Years and Older:
Actions To Take This Flu Season
1. Get Your Seasonal Flu Shot
The best way to prevent seasonal flu is by getting a seasonal flu vaccination each year. As always, CDC recommends that people 65 and older get their regular, or “seasonal,” flu vaccine as soon as it is available. This year is no exception as seasonal flu viruses are expected to circulate along with 2009 H1N1 viruses this flu season. When the 2009 H1N1 vaccine becomes available for people 65 years and older, you should get that vaccine also.
2. Take Everyday Preventive Actions including covering coughs, washing hands often and avoiding people who are sick.
3. Seek medical advice quickly if you develop flu symptoms to see whether you might need medical evaluation or possibly treatment with antiviral medications. People 65 and older are prioritized to get antiviral drugs if they become sick with the flu according to CDC’s guidance. Flu symptoms include fever, cough, sore throat, runny or stuffy nose, body aches, headache, chills and fatigue. Some people may also have vomiting and diarrhea. People may be infected with the flu, including 2009 H1N1, and have respiratory symptoms without a fever.
People 65 Years and Older and Seasonal Flu
It has been recognized for many years that older people are at greater risk of serious complications from the flu compared with young, healthy adults. It’s estimated that 90 percent of seasonal flu-related deaths and more than 60 percent of seasonal flu-related hospitalizations in the United States each year occur in people 65 years and older. This is because human immune defenses become weaker with age. So influenza can be a very serious disease for people 65 and older.
People 65 Years and Older and 2009 H1N1 Flu
The new 2009 H1N1 virus does not seem to be affecting people 65 years and older in the same way that seasonal flu usually does. Most people who have gotten sick from this new virus have been younger. In fact, people 65 and older are the group that is least likely to get infected with this new virus. There have been relatively few infections and even fewer cases of serious illness and death with this new virus in people older than 65. Laboratory tests on blood samples indicate that older people likely have some pre-existing immunity to the 2009 H1N1 flu virus. But while people 65 and older are the least likely to be infected with 2009 H1N1 flu, those that do become infected are at greater risk of having serious complications from their illness.

Flu Vaccination
Seasonal Flu Vaccine

People 65 and older are recommended to get seasonal flu vaccine this year, as always.
2009 H1N1 Flu Vaccine

People 65 and older are not in a target group recommended to get the earliest doses of 2009 H1N1 vaccine. This is because people age 65 and older are least likely to get sick with the 2009 H1N1 virus. Because there will be limited amounts of vaccine available at first, the first doses are recommended for those who are most likely to get infected.

The U.S. government has purchased 250 million doses of 2009 H1N1 vaccine, so anyone who wants to get the vaccine will have the opportunity to do so. While people 65 and older are not included in the groups recommended to get the earliest doses of vaccine, they can get the 2009 H1N1 influenza vaccine as soon as the high risk and younger groups have had the opportunity to be vaccinated.
People Age 65 Years and Older and Antiviral Drugs

Influenza antiviral drugs are prescription drugs (pills, liquid, or inhaled powder) that decrease the ability of flu viruses to reproduce. While getting a flu vaccine each year is the first and most important step in protecting against flu, antiviral drugs are a second line of defense in the treatment of flu.

It’s very important that antiviral drugs be used early to treat flu illness in people 65 and older who are very sick (for example people who are in the hospital) and people who are sick with flu and who also have a greater chance of getting serious flu complications (see

Although they are the least likely group to be infected with 2009 H1N1 flu, people age 65 and older are at higher risk for influenza related complications. Therefore, they are prioritized for antiviral treatment if they get sick with either seasonal or 2009 H1N1 flu this season.

Links for Information on Influenza

"Take 3" - Steps to the fight the flu -
Is your workplace Pandemic-ready? -
Seasonal & Novel H1N1 flu "A Parents Guide"
Click on the links below for additional information
Click on this link for a printable poster dealing with Flu prevention:

CDC announces drought guidelines pamphlet When Every Drop Counts: Protecting Public Health During Drought Conditions—A Guide for Public Health Professionals - CDC’s National Center for Environmental Health developed this publication to assist public health officials, practitioners, and other stakeholders in their efforts to understand and prepare for drought in their communities. The document includes information about how drought affects public health, recommends steps to help mitigate the health effects of drought, identifies future needs for research and other drought-related activities, and provides a list of helpful resources and tools. Available at
Bed Bug information The United States like many other countries is experiencing an increase in bed bug infestations, Roxbury Township is no exception. Roxbury Township Health Department has received numerous bed bug complaints over the last year and we do not expect this to abate in the near future. Bed begs are small insects that feed on the blood of humans generally while we are sleeping and are known to be in and around sleeping areas both at home and in hotels. What is generally not know is that they have been found in numerous other locations such as automobiles, movie theaters, etc, pretty much anywhere they can find a meal. For more information please click on the link below.

Battery Disposal As of 2010 there are new regulations for the disposal of batteries;
  1. Alkaline Batteries (non-hazardous & use-once) - Throw in the garbage
  2. Rechargeable (hazardous & Multi-use) Recycle with
    1. Use the drop off locator to locate a site near you
    2. Types of batteries covered by Call2Recycle;
i. Nickel Cadmium (Ni-Cd)
ii. Nickel Metal Hydride (Ni-MH)
iii. Lithium Ion (Li-ion)
iv. Nickel Zinc (Ni-Zn)
v. Small Sealed Lead - less than 11 lbs (Pb)
  1. Other Batteries (hazardous, once-use, non-rechargeable & over 11 pounds) The following should be taken to the Household Hazardous Waste Program.
    1. Button Cell Batteries - Most of these batteries still contain mercury and should be taken to a household hazardous waste program for proper management.
    2. Lead-Acid Batteries Car and boat batteries (over 11 lbs) should also be taken to a household hazardous waste program.
    3. Disposable Lithium Batteries - Use-once, non-rechargeable lithium batteries (AA, C, 9 volt and coin); mainly used in computers and cameras, are reactive with water, and can cause serious fires. If lithium batteries are non-rechargeable they must be delivered to a hazardous waste program for proper management.
For more information please contact the MCMUA at or by calling 973-829-8006.
CDC Guidelines for Food Safety During an Emergency Please click on the link below for information
Odor Problem in Ledgewood

At the request of the Township the NJDEP investigated the Fenimore Landfill relative to the numerous odor complaints. After several visits to the site, DEP inspectors determined the landfill is the source of the odor problem. We ask that the residents of the area continue to call the DEP hotline at 877 927-6337 whenever they smell the odor. In order for the DEP to take corrective action a resident must sign a “Statement of Complaint form”. By signing the statement you are attesting that the odor has unreasonably interfered with the enjoyment of life or property. In addition, the township Health Department will be taking all appropriate action. Please refer the Odor Fact Sheet below for more information. Fact Sheet_201211260809591872.pdf

Please call the Health Department for more information.